NT Printing woes

Sean Murphy Sean.Murphy at Teltec.DCU.IE
Wed Jan 28 17:55:01 GMT 1998

Hi all,

I've had some problems printing from NT, which I thought I'd report
to see if anybody can shed some light on them.

Server: 1.9.18p2, running on sparc ultra 1 compiled with gcc ver
2.7.2

Clients: Win 95, Win NT (SP1 & SP3).

I had samba 1.9.17p5 installed. Everything worked fine. Then I
installed version 1.9.18[then p1, and then p2], since the
announcement said that it could lead to considerable speed
improvements. This is where the problems arose.

I made no changes to my smb.conf when installing the new version. I
just had a quick look at the docs which relate to printing, and found
no mention of any new parameters that needed to be included in my
smb.conf. I also ran the smb.conf through testparm and got a warning
relating to the names of shares being too long, but I don't think
this is the problem.

The server is operating in share mode. The hosts I'm printing from
are allowed. Printing on each share is restricted to certain users,
but the users that are having these printing problems are allowed
(according to smb.conf) to print to the problematic shares.

After installing the new version of the server, the NT users couldn't
print. I thought this might relate to the problem with printing from
win 95, but this was fixed in 1.9.18p2. I did spend a bit of time
attempting to figure out what the problem was, but not being very
familiar with the workings of Samba, it took me quite a while to find
out anything.

As far as I can see, the problem lies in the authentication
procedure. Using level 3 debug output in the log files I came to this
conclusion.

I monitored the behaviour of the server from the time the user logged
onto the NT WS. The protocol was negotiated etc. When the network
drives were connected, the server refused once and accepted the
connection the next time. I think what happenned here is that NT
tried to connect without password, samba refused, NT realised a
password was needed, which it obtained from the user, sent it to
samba, and samba authenticated the connection. This happenned for
each mapped network drive. For the drive mappings, the
authorise_login() function was called twice, once with no password,
and once with the correct password.

When I tried to print a file using the new version, samba refused to
authenticate the connection twice. In both cases, the
authorise_login() function was called with nothing in the password
field. Consequently, the connection was not authorised, and hence,
the user could not print.

I've reverted to version 1.9.17p5, and the above problems
disappeared, but I'd like to get 1.9.18 working.

Regards, and thanks in advance for any help,
Sean.

-----
Sean Murphy,		Phone: +353-1-7045080
Teltec Ireland,		Fax: +353-1-7045092