Problems with configuration, browsing

Derek Clifford derek_clifford at fermi.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 21 11:45:43 GMT 1998

Hi,

I am having some problems configuring samba 1.9.18p1 on Slackware Linux
2.0.30.

I have a Linux box a windows NT server configured as pdc, and a win95 OSR2
system. I have compiled using the option in the makefile with flags:

FLAGS= -DLINUX -DFAST_SHARE_MODES
LIBSM=

My smb.conf is:

[global]
browseable = yes
workgroup = MLC
server string = DIRAC
hosts allow
= 192.168.0. 127.
guest account = pcguest
log file =
/usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
max log size = 50
security =  user
encrypt
passwords = yes
socket options = TCP_NODELAY
dns proxy = no

==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories

browseable = no
   writable = yes

# This one is useful for people to
share files
[tmp]
   comment = Temporary file space
   path = /tmp
   read
only = no
   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read
only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
[public]
   comment = Public
Stuff
   path = /public
   public = yes
   writable = yes
   printable =
no
   browseable = yes
;   write list = @staff

Now I cannot browse the
samba server, but I can make a connection to the shares using file manager
from the NT machine, but not from the Windows 95 machine.

I am also puzzled by the behaviour of my nmbd, which exits with the log
messages:

01/21/1998 10:56:12 becoming a daemon
Opening sockets 137
bind succeeded on
port 137
bind succeeded on port 138
open_sockets: Broadcast sockets
opened.
No interface found for address 192.168.0.3
Derived broadcast
address 192.168.0.255
Added interface ip=192.168.0.3 bcast=192.168.0.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
bind failed on port 137 socket_addr=192.168.0.3 (Cannot
assign requested address)
make_subnet: Failed to open nmb socket on
interface 192.168.0.3 for port 137. Error was Cannot assign requested
address
ERROR: Failed when creating subnet lists. Exiting.

I cannot find anything else using this port, and it appears from the
earlier messages that the port was first opened successfully.

My attempt to print to an smb printer on my NT server also failed, and the
script smbprint went into an infinite loop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Derek Clifford
derek_clifford at fermi.demon.co.uk