Disappearing Samba servers

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Sun Jan 11 08:36:18 GMT 1998

Hello all,

I recently ran across a problem which I'd seen mentioned earlier. When
setup with v1.9.17p4, I set both local master and domain master. Only one
machine was supporting WINS. Within 6 hours, both other servers disappeared
from the browse lists. Tha smbd seemed healthy, as well as nmbd, because
both servers responded to a find and, once found, showed their shares in
the find window. On the theory that they weren't reporting their status to
the WINS server, I enabled 'wins proxy' support in both of them. This is
all that I did and they haven't disappeared since. My WinNTws40SP3 machines
only have the WINS machine, as the WINS server explicitly stated in the
configuration dialogs.

I might suggest that in future versions of Samba, when 'wins server' is set
then 'wins proxy' be automaticaly set by default. This implies that no
seperate setting is needed for 'wins proxy'.

This idea maybe all wet, if so, please inform.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail:		mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Personalweb pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:	http://www.mhsc.com/