Problems with Samba and Solaris 2.6 (and STATUS..LCK)

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Fri Feb 27 18:02:09 GMT 1998

Tom Lieuallen wrote:

> I'm planning to cut over to 1.9.18p3 in the next day or two, but
> I have reservations.
>
> We have another machine (ultra 140, solaris 2.6) that was running
> 1.9.17p2.  When I upgraded it to 1.9.18p3, it just didn't work
> for a number of hours.  We are doing 'security=server' and passing
> the authentication on to our NT PDC.  The error messages sounded
> like the NT server was only giving 'guest' authentication, which I
> guess means that normal encrypted authentication had failed.

Read the 1.9.18p3 release notes, especially the bit
about the 'networkstation user login' parameter with
security=server.

> When I was using smbstatus, It kept complaining about there being
> no STATUS..LCK.  I tried killing the samba processes, etc. etc.
> I never touched the config file.  After a while (quite a while),
> it just started working.

Make sure you are using -DFAST_SHARE_MODES. I remember someone
seeing this when they were using an older smbstatus with a
new release (I think, I can't remember the exact details).

> I would really like to know before I upgrade our main server.  I
> can't afford to let that one sit out in the cold for an unspecified
> amount of time.  I had a very similar experience when I ugpraded the
> first machine from 1.9.17 to 1.9.17p2 (6+ months ago).

You should be ok so long as you read the release notes
*all of them* - I try and document everything that changed
(I do a context diff between releases and use that as the
basis as the WHATSNEW.txt bugfix list so it should be
accurate). I try and work from the principle of giving
least suprises to someone using Samba but sometimes changes
in behavior just can't be helped. That's why we document
them :-).

Many people are running Samba 1.9.18p3 on Solaris (Sun
included :-) so you should be ok.

Hope this helps,

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.