nmb log file entry

Jeremy Allison jallison at whistle.com
Tue Feb 24 01:54:27 GMT 1998

Jim Watt wrote:

> We're seeing the same behavior here:
>
> query_name_response: Multiple (2) responses received for a query on subnet
>   192.52.153.11 for name TIOGA<1d>. This response was from IP 192.52.153.255
>
> There's a problem with the message - "192.52.153.11" isn't a subnet.
> In fact it's the host on which nmbd is running!

Well in nmbd terminology that is a subnet address, the local
IP address that has a machine has on a broadcast subnet is
used as the text identifier for that subnet.

> Our net broadcast address is 192.52.153.255.
>
> How high does the nmbd debuglevel have to be set to see where the

If I'm looking that deeply into nmbd I usually set it to
10 and have done with it. But for the particular message
you mention the address listed there is the one gleaned
from the recvfrom when the packet came in.

That means it really does have a source address of
the broadcast address. You may need a network sniffer
to track this one down.

I'm not sure this is exactly the same network problem as
the previous one as I don't think his response is from the
subnet broadcast address.

Jeremy Allison,
Samba Team.