Samba 1.9.18.px nmbd problems

janne.harju at nmp.nokia.com janne.harju at nmp.nokia.com
Mon Feb 23 20:20:00 GMT 1998

>- the correct response to a name refresh (opcode 8
>or 9) broadcast request packet should be to ignore it
>(if it's not your name :-).

OK, I understand perfectly but after we got these messages
it seems that nmbd went crazy.

> Do you have some network sniffer logs/nmbd debug
> level 10 logs of these packets you could send me ?

Sorry, haven't got any yet. I had to kill nmbd pretty fast, just
couple hundred PCs affected. Unfortunately we still have
a lot of old Windows PCs :(

>If this check is failing and the code is falling
>through then it means either someone is trying to release
>a name DOMAINNAME<00> and not setting the group bit in the
>packet (which is an error), or they are trying to release
>the group name DOMAINNAME<00> and trying to release
>an IP address that nmbd owns.
>
>Either way, a problem.

I agree. I suspect the first case because in the second case also
duplicate IPs would come up which we are not seeing.
I'll try to check this.

>Are you sure you're not just missing these name registration
>broadcasts (they'll be done at nmbd startup) ?

Well, at least they don't show up when I do
nmbstat -a smbserver
I'll check the broadcasts with a sniffer.

>Don't even *joke* about stuff like that. I take *great*
>care to ensure I never see anything that could compromise
>Samba code. I don't sign NDA's and certainly don't look
>at other SMB implementors code !

Hey, no offense by all means. I'm sure it's hard to keep it
that way.

Regards, Janne