Disk size on my NT

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Sat Feb 21 08:08:27 GMT 1998

At 18:03 18-02-98 +1100, Peter Blake wrote:
>On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Johan Meiring wrote:
>
>> I have sucessfully shared out a big drive (7.5GB) without any problems for
>> a long time to W95 and NT4.  (Was also sharing it out using netatalk, had
>> to make a mod to netatalk though)  Samba was 1.9.17.  Unfortunately the
>> linux box is no more, so I can not say what it will do using 1.9.18.

>> >Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:58:58 +0000 (GMT/BST)
>> >From: Peter Blake <ppb at baloo.tcp.co.uk>
>> >To: tmh at manbw.dk
>> >
>> >Subject: Re: Disk size on my NT

>> NT

>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >W95 would report it as 2GBytes. It's a fundamental limitation of a 32-bit
>> >integer: unsigned = 4 GBytes, signed = 2 GBytes.
>> >
>> >You will have to partition the drive to make all of it useable by the M$
>> >products. I think it might be distinctly dodgy to use it as it is.
>> >

>I don't dispute that you CAN share your >2GByte disc partition - my
>personal experience of using large files (video editing - 100 to 1000
>MBytes) on partitions that are not correctly recognised by W95 is that the
>files are sometimes corrupted.
>
>The corruption takes the form of source files being overwritten by output
>files. The problem can be reproduced by simple PRN generator tests, so it
>is not due to the video editing suite.
>
>Limiting the partition size to 2 GBytes greatly reduces the incidence of
>file corruption - a practice recommended in M$ KnowledgeBase articles.

If you'll notice. The original poster was discussing WinNT, not Win95.

I run WinNTws40sp3 machines against a set of Linux servers, all running
1.9.17p4. I know that it's old, but I'm waiting for the PDC stuff to shake
out. Anyway, one of the shares is a 6.5 GB UltraDMA/33 drives, that has two
sym-links to a pair of 3.5GB drives, for a total disk space of 13.5 GB. My
NT machines see and operate on the *whole* thing. The 6.5 GB drive is one
large ext2 partition. I have not yet seen even a trace of disk corruption.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail:		mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Personalweb pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:	http://www.mhsc.com/