Disk size on my NT

Peter Blake ppb at baloo.tcp.co.uk
Wed Feb 18 06:57:11 GMT 1998

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Johan Meiring wrote:

> I have sucessfully shared out a big drive (7.5GB) without any problems for
> a long time to W95 and NT4.  (Was also sharing it out using netatalk, had
> to make a mod to netatalk though)  Samba was 1.9.17.  Unfortunately the
> linux box is no more, so I can not say what it will do using 1.9.18.
>
> Johan
>
> >Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 08:58:58 +0000 (GMT/BST)
> >From: Peter Blake <ppb at baloo.tcp.co.uk>
> >To: tmh at manbw.dk
> >
> >Subject: Re: Disk size on my NT
> >
> >On Wed, 11 Feb 1998 tmh/Copenhagen at manbw.dk wrote:
> >
> >>      HI Samba Admin's
> >>
> >>     I have a share called "archive". The disksize on the HP is 7GB, my
> NT
> >>     3.51 and NT 4.0 says it's 4GB.
> >>
> >>      Can anyone help me?
> >>

> >Hi,
> >
> >W95 would report it as 2GBytes. It's a fundamental limitation of a 32-bit
> >integer: unsigned = 4 GBytes, signed = 2 GBytes.
> >
> >You will have to partition the drive to make all of it useable by the M$
> >products. I think it might be distinctly dodgy to use it as it is.

Hi,

I don't dispute that you CAN share your >2GByte disc partition - my
personal experience of using large files (video editing - 100 to 1000
MBytes) on partitions that are not correctly recognised by W95 is that the
files are sometimes corrupted.

The corruption takes the form of source files being overwritten by output
files. The problem can be reproduced by simple PRN generator tests, so it
is not due to the video editing suite.

Limiting the partition size to 2 GBytes greatly reduces the incidence of
file corruption - a practice recommended in M$ KnowledgeBase articles.

Regards,

---
Peter Blake
ppb at hft.co.uk