Accessing wintel drives from unix

Peter H. Lemieux phl at cyways.com
Fri Feb 20 21:34:26 GMT 1998

> Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 16:15:30 +0000
> From: "Sean Murphy" <Sean.Murphy at Teltec.DCU.IE>

> functionality. So, would it be possible to set up a linux
> workstation which can mount PC shared drives using smbfs, and export
> these to the sun workstations using nfs? It's inefficient, I know,
> but in terms of implementation it doesn't seem too difficult.

I just tested this out and it works fine, at least in terms of NFS
exporting the share to another Linux box.  I presume the Sun NFS client
wouldn't have any problems either.

Things like this are what, for me, makes Linux such a terrific OS in mixed
Unix/Wintel environments.  For instance, I can mount the NetWare server in
my office onto a Linux box and then use Samba to export the volume to
Windows machines, or use NFS to export it to Unix hosts.  And with the
CIPE encrypted tunneling mechanism (still only available for Linux -- see
http://www.inka.de/~bigred/devel/cipe.html) all of this can be done
securely.

Peter

-----
Peter H. Lemieux, President                             mailto:phl at cyways.com
cyways, inc.                                            http://www.cyways.com
203 Arlington Street                                    Voice: (800) 5-cyways
Watertown, Massachusetts 02172-2036 USA                     +1 (617) 924-7991