Accessing a share that requires entire different authenication...

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Thu Feb 12 14:35:12 GMT 1998

> However, I now have the need to map another drive; but I would like to
> have this connection authenticated under a different username/password
> pair other than the one normally associated with the other drive
> mappings on a Win 95/NT PC. In other words, a username/password pair
> different from my Unix userid/password pair. The usernames on our
> Win95/NT PCs typically match what is on the Unix machines (in fact it's
> a company standard for all the machines at our site). Is there a
> convenient method for doing this? Or possibly a setting for the smb.conf
> that I am overlooking??

Are you trying to connect as a different UNIX account or a non-existent
unix account?

If you are trying too do the latter, you can accomplish this by enabling
encrypted passwords but then you have the entire issue of password
synchronization, etc...  A possible solution would be to setup a second
samaba server ( possibly on the same machine ) which uses encrypted
passwords while you main one does not.  The second server could offer
only the neccessary shares which you needed.

If you are trying to connect as a different UNIX account, then you will
need to something like this which works from NT.  I don't think it will
work from 95....maybe try using the \\server\share%username syntax?  I
don't know never tried it from 95 :-}

	server1's IP address 192.0.0.2

	net use i: \\server1\share1 /user:user1
	net use j: \\192.0.0.2\share2 /user:user2

j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter

                                  - Sting "Message in a Bottle" ( 1979 )