Printing from Windows 95 client

Eric Sisler esisler at ares.csd.net
Wed Feb 11 05:42:08 GMT 1998

I'm new to Samba and I've run up against a problem that I'm getting tired
of smashing my head against the keyboard about.  ;-)

I've read the man pages, FAQ, searched the archives and any other
documentation I can get my hands on and still no luck.

I'm running a RedHat (4.2) Linux box with Samba 1.9.17p4-1.  I have shares
working properly to my Windows '95 client and I can see the printers, but
when I try to print to them or even "install" them on the Win '95 box, I
get the message "The network name is either on a network to which you do
not have full access, or is incorrect."  Then it asks if I want to be
prompted to establish a dial-up networking connection.

I've tried the default [printers] section in the smb.conf file, tried
specifically declaring the printer, made it public, private and just about
everything else I can think of to no avail.  The printer in question has
been setup as both a network printer and and directly connected to the
Linux box's parallel port.  I can print to the printer either way from the
Linux box, so I know that part is working correctly.  The network itself is
a small (3 node) experimental network that I use to work out bugs. (like
this one.)  DNS is up & running on the Linux box and as I said, file shares
are working just fine, but I haven't messed with WINS yet.  Is it something
in my smb.conf file or have I botched something in the networking setup?

Any ideas would be most appreciated, I'm tired of the keyboard impressions
on my forehead!  <grin>

Eric Sisler
esisler at ares.csd.net