SAMBA digest 1586

Cameron, Steve Steve.Cameron at COMPAQ.com
Tue Feb 10 22:50:19 GMT 1998

David A. De Graaf wrote:

> Let me share my idiotic mistake with the world...
>
> The new samba-1.9.18p2 (and p1) has introduced a new impediment to
> compilation, at least on my older Dell UNIX system.  The 'make'
> command yields:

[..snip..]

> Using LIBS =  -lsocket -lnsl -lc -L/usr/ucblib -lucb
> Compiling util.c
> -o would overwrite util.o
> make: *** [util.o] Error 1
>
> This nonsensical error message is impossible to comprehend.
> If util.o did exist, I would want it overwritten!
> But it doesn't exist!  So why stop???

I ran into the same thing on Unixware 2.1.2 using the native C compiler.
 My solotion, which I posted on this list awhile back was as follows:

Here's a semi-brain-dead patch to the Makefile that will make samba
compile on UnixWare 2.1.2.  Perhaps someone could come up with something
more reasonable that's also portable.  Not beimg much of a Makefile
hacker myself, I'm happy to have something that simply works for me.
Probably I could avoid all this by just using gcc and GNU make, but I
don't have them installed (yet).

I also got some warnings about arguments mismatched to function
prototypes, but I haven't looked into that yet.

Hope this is of some use to somebody.
-- Steve Cameron

*** Makefile.orig	Wed Jan  7 17:06:28 1998
--- Makefile	Thu Jan  8 10:13:19 1998
***************
*** 722,728 ****

  .c.o: $(INCLUDES)