Multiple SAMBA servers

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Mon Feb 9 03:51:39 GMT 1998

> So what I want to do is to run two SAMBA-servers with diffrent
> configuration on one machine.
>
> Is this possible?

Yes.  See the network interface parameter to specify the IP address to
bind to.  I also use the socket address parameter in combination.  I know
that this breaks browsing.

Be aware the nmbd will not answer broadcasts in this type of setup.  To
setup domain logins it will be necessary to use a local LMHOST file on the
PC or setup samba as a wins server.

> Must I run the servers on diffrent portnumbers?
> If I have to change one of the servers portnumber how do I do with my NT4
> clients ??

No.  smbd and nmbd will still run on ports 137, 138 and 139.  The separate
servers will be known by their respective NetBIOS name.

If you need specifics on this I can send you example smb.conf files for
this type of setup.  Feel free to contact me directly.

> My clients are configured to access both of the SAMBA-servers and need to
> do this also in a case of a failure.
>
> Suggestions?

How are the file systems being replicated?  I mean are they local to the
servers or are they being served to samba via NFS and then the samba
servers are making them available?  Maybe this question is due to my lack
of knowledge about "First Watch".

Hope this helps,
j-
                            Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter