mapped drives do not appear

Stephen L Arnold arnold.steve at ensco.com
Tue Dec 29 18:14:56 GMT 1998

When the world was young, Scott Gasch carved some runes like this:

> I am having trouble with samba (version 2.0beta4) and I thought
> someone might have seen this before.  From client PCs (win98
> and winnt 4.0) I am able to see my samba server in net hood.  I
> am able to browse the shared filesystems.  I am able to map
> drives.  However, when a network drive is mapped to a local
> drive on a PC, it does not appear in the drive list in
> explorer.  In a shell you can change to N: and see files.
> In apps you can save to/read from N:.  But explorer does not
> see the mapped drive... on either NT or 98.

Does the Net Hood view match the explorer list of machines?  ie,
are the machine lists out of sync?  I've been told that it's not
supposed to happen, but I've seen it on my windoze box.  A friend
of mine's solution is to remove all the network protocols from the
client and re-install them.  Windoze really shouldn't corrupt
itself like that, but I've seen it happen with other software
(including parts of windoze) and we all know what a poor design it
is...

If the samba box shows up in *both* explorer and net hood, then you
should be able to use explorer to map a network drive, which should
appear in explorer's list of drives within a few seconds.

We've been having different (and intermittent) network problems for
a while (which I'm convinced are *not* due to samba), and one of
the first things to screw up is browsing (although the IP layer
works fine - we have no NetBEUI or IPX).  I'm pretty sure it's a
hardware problem (but I don't have the knowledge to sniff the
network yet); things seem to be getting a little better as the coax
gets changed over to UTP.

I'm not sure if this was helpful (but one can always hope).

Later, Steve

Stephen L. Arnold                        Senior Systems Engineer
ENSCO Inc.                        email:  arnold.steve at ensco.com
P.O. Box 5488                         www:  http://www.ensco.com
Vandenberg AFB, CA  93437             voice: 805.734.8232 x68838
                                               fax: 805.734.4779
#include <std_disclaimer.h>