SAMBA digest 1918

Brett Worth brettw at sgi.com
Wed Dec 23 21:40:21 GMT 1998

On Wed, 23 Dec 1998 samba at samba.org wrote:

> Subject: Problems with SMB.CONF (2nd)
>
> The .bol.sharif.ac.ir tail did not appended to clients' names. I changed it
> as followings and the problem was corrected:
> 194.225.42.34   kordan.bol.sharif.ac.ir         kordan arash
> 194.225.42.37   pol2.bol.sharif.ac.ir           pol2
>
> Is it a bug in SAMBA?!

I dont think so.  It's related to samba's concept of the clients
hostname.  If you're using bind for name resolution it should do a
reverse lookup on the IP and return the fully qualified name.  When
using hosts it will just return the first name which will be the fqdn
if layed out like above.

A simple test to see whether the domain names are included is to just do an
"arp -a" or a "netstat".  If you're not using a complete hosts file and you
are using DNS then you will get only IP addresses in the "arp -a" if the
reverse lookups are not configured for your subnet.

>    M. Tajamolian

Brett Worth

 Silicon Graphics Inc.
 brettw at sgi.com +61 2 6270 8707