Problems with Samba

Matthew J. Pullen Matthew at ddc.net
Tue Dec 22 17:10:12 GMT 1998

Greetings all, and Happy Hollidays.

I have read the FAQ's extensively, and I am still having some minor
problems, so if this problem has a simple solution, please forgive my
ignorance.

I have compiled and installed SAMBA-1.9.18p10 on a SPARC station. When I run
smbclient -L Hostname it allows me to log in and shows the correct shares.
However, when I try to map the drive (on the Sparc station) from an NT
machine, it does ask for a username and password, but then I get the error
message "The account does not have authorization to login from this station"
I do not have any host allow or host deny parameters in the smb.conf file.
My configuration file follows:

[global]
log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
lock directory = /var/lock/samba
share modes = yes
browseable = yes
admin users = matthew
force directory mode = 755
force user = matthew
netbios name = Hobbit
security = USER

[homes]
comment = Home Directories
browseable = no
read only = no
writeable = yes
create mode = 0755
path = /mnt/WWW/
delete readonly = yes

This configuration is supposed to be simple, all I am trying to do at this
point is get a share name, that I can map to from NT.  I will get more
complicated as I get more comfortable with the functionality.  If you have
any suggestions from your experience that will help performance for what I
am trying to accomplish, I would greatly appriciate it.

Matthew
The Digital Design Company
(888) 969-2100
matthew at ddc.net