Samba Printing Question

James Strauch jamey at beasys.com
Thu Dec 17 20:17:29 GMT 1998

Hello Samba Gurus:

I have a unusual printing problem on a Samba server (version
samba-1.9.18p7) on a Solaris 2.6 server.
Basically I had 2 Solaris 2.5.1 machines that were retired when this new
machine was deployed. Each individual machine had Samba shares and printers
on it individually. Those file systems and printers were then duplicated on
the new server. The version of Samba was the same (samba-1.9.18p7) on the
previous machines.

Prior to our cut-over, all users were able to print to the Samba printers
withour ever entering a password for the resource. Now all machines
NT/95/98, require the user to enter their NIS password before using the
printing resource every time! This gets the users a bit annoyed when they
have a number of print jobs to send. So in order to get our users a work
around, I had them mount their home directories on thier desktop on logic
drive H:\. This seems to resend the username and password information upon
printing requests and forwards it to the server.

So my question is, why does the user have to enter his NIS password for the
resource? Doesn't the NT/95 desktop send the Windows login information and
password (we have clear-text passwords turned on) to the server by default?
 Why does the resource then need the password on every use?

In addition we have some NT4.0SP3 clients that get the following message
when attempting to login to the share we get:
		The account is not authorized to login from this station.

Prior to the cutover, users could print without the hassle of passwords.
The same situation is also true for Guest access shares.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The following is a snip from the smb.conf file:

# Jamey Strauch 5.27.98
#
#
#
#
[global]
; security set to user to make print jobs come out
; with user name on banner pages 12/7/98 -jeffry
;       security = server
        security = user
;       security = share
        netbios name = san-jose
        netbios aliases = svlhome1 arbhome1
;       netbios alias = arbhome1
;       password server = vashon hqfinsvr1
        password level = 2
        server string = BEA Samba Server
        workgroup = BEACORP
        guest account = samba
        encrypt passwords = no
        homedir map = auto_home
        guest ok = yes
        ;os level = 32
        os level = 65
        browseable = yes
        config file = /usr/local/samba/smb.conf
        status = yes
        log level = 1
        log file = /usr/local/samba/log.smb
        getwd cache = yes
        read prediction = yes
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY

        share modes = yes
        locking = yes
        strict locking = yes
        keepalive = 30
        dead time = 15
        lock directory = /var/spool/locks
        printing = sysv
        lpq cache time = 0

        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        local master = yes
        wins support = yes

# Jamey Strauch 5.27.98
#
#
#
#
[...]

; Printers are appended after this point automatically

[sj-accounting]
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    comment = B&W in San Jose #1, 4th Floor, NW (aka sjc1-nw4)
    path = /var/spool/samba_lp/sj-accounting

[sj-fcp]
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    comment = B&W in San Jose #1, 2nd Floor, SW (aka sjc1-sw2)
    path = /var/spool/samba_lp/sj-fcp

[sj-fcp-color]
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    comment = COLOR in San Jose #1, 2nd Floor, SW (aka sjc1-sw2c)
    path = /var/spool/samba_lp/sj-fcp-color

[sj-prof-color]
    browseable = yes
    guest ok = yes
    writable = no
    printable = yes
    comment = COLOR in San Jose #1, 2nd Floor, NE (aka sjc1-ne2c)
    path = /var/spool/samba_lp/sj-prof-color
        share modes = yes
        locking = yes
        strict locking = yes
        keepalive = 30
        dead time = 15
        lock directory = /var/spool/locks
        printing = sysv
        ;printcap name = /usr/local/samba/lib/printcap
        lpq cache time = 0

        domain master = yes
        domain logons = yes
        local master = yes