SAMBA digest 1912 - browsing accross subnets

Robert Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Thu Dec 17 19:14:16 GMT 1998

> From: Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk>
> Subject: Repost: Browsing across subnets (again)
>
> Hi All,
>
> this is probably a common problem and FAQ but I can't the solution.
>
> I've got two subnets, 10.1.1.0/255.255.0.0 at Leeds and
> 10.2.0.0/255.255.0.0 at Doncaster.

I presume the first subnet adress is 10.1.0.0 and that .1. in the third
octet is a typo?

> At Leeds, I've got samba running as browse master and WINS server -
> workgroup LEEDS.  At Doncaster I've got samba running as browse master
> and WINS client - workgroup DONCASTER.
> All PC's at all sites are WINS clients to the Leeds samba, and have the
> appropriate workgroup.
>
> WINS is working fine with the Leeds PC holding WINS details for
> everyone, and the two browse masters are working fine, holding the
> browse details for their respective workgroup/subnets.
>
> [no stuff in Network Neighbourhood]

What do you see in the Network Neighbourhood window?  Just the local
workgroup?

What are the 'domain master =', 'local master =', etc. lines in smb.conf
on the various machines?

What's in /opt/samba/var/locks/browse.dat and wins.dat, etc.  Perhaps not
post all of them here, but are the domains and master browsers mentioned
in those files correctly?

What are the permissions to reach (and read) the browse.dat and wins.dat
files?  I once had a problem where this all went wrong because onto the
user 'samba' could read those files (and the normal users, who own the
smbd processes couldn't)?

  - Bob

  I do mail, web, news, DNS and C++... but I don't understand any of it...
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{], CNE ;), MCSE ;)           Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  IT Services                                   R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.          http://www.reading.ac.uk/~suq96rcf/