Configuration questions: 1.9.18p10

Chad Price cprice at molbio.unmc.edu
Wed Dec 16 15:20:28 GMT 1998

I've got 1.9.18p10 up and running happily on a Solaris 2.4 box. I have got
the configuration set so that from my own PC (running NT4, sp4) on the same
subnet, I can login with no problems.  Running smbclient on the Unix box
also confirms that I can use other user ID's also.

Problem 1: other users do not seem to be able to login.

What I think are the relevant sections of the config file follow - security
= user, and encrypted passwords =  yes, and there is an smbpasswd file with
valid entries for the user(s) who cannot login:

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
;   security = server
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = %m
;   password server = %L

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
  encrypt passwords = yes

When I go to another PC using Win95 on the same subnet, and try to login
using one of the users set up in the smbpasswd file, I get a password
failure - the share is recognized, but the login fails.  I've tried enough
times that I'm sure I'm not mistyping the password. I also cannot login
from another PC using my own ID, but it's not clear to me if an individual
user is or is not limited to a single simultaneous login.

What's likely wrong with my configuration? Do I need to turn encryption off
and then find all the WIn95 & NT systems and make the registry correction
to turn encrypted passwords off so that the rest of the PCs can login? I
would strongly prefer that the Unix password file be the only one.  My
users have enough trouble understanding the the Unix box is separate from
their Novell server login..

Problem 2: samba server is not visible on another subnet

Same server as above, same setup. When I go to a PC on another subnet
(running NT4, sp3) and which is in the same workgroup (there are no NT
servers, this is a Novell campus), I can see my own NT PC in the workgroup,
but cannot see the Samba server.

In addition, when I use (for example)  "net use m: \\molbio\student", the
response is "System error 67 has occurred.  The network name cannot be found"

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
   workgroup = GCG

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = GSAF (Molbio) Samba Server

This second PC is separated from the Samaba server by a router (probably
Cicso or Cabletron) and by at least 1 if not 2 hubs.  The Samba server and
my PC are connected to 1 hub and on ethernet.  The 2nd PC is on a token
ring net with a router connection to my subnet. There may or may not be a
hub involved there also.  Our network people are less than forthcoming
about the net configuration.

I can guess than for some reason SMB is turned off for the Samba server's
port on the router between ethernet and token ring; but I don't see any
other possibilities. If someone could point me at them, I'd appreciate it.
If there are no other possibilities, then I'll deal with it throught the
network people here on campus.

Thanks -

Chad

Chad Price