EOL conversion??

JUERGEN ANZER RICK_ at t-online.de
Sat Dec 12 00:29:56 GMT 1998

Richard Roberto wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've checked all the docs I can find and this top icisn't mentioned,
> so I'm guessing there is no such thing, but I have users who swear
> that VisionFS used to automatically convert unix text files to
> windows text files (change the EOL to have both a carriage return
> and a newline, instead of just a newline).  I think the user is
> mistaken, but just wanted to check.

I haven´t used VisionFS until yet ...

> Is there a way for an SMB
> service to do this, and if so, how can I configure SAMBA to do this?

No, there is no way to make SAMBA do this. I guess that it would be
possible for the samba-gurus to integrate something similiar - but this
would mean that transmission speed would decrease! (Btw, how about
transmission speed of VisionFS?)

I understand SAMBA to offer a filesystem-share to the M$-PC-world, used
by these application. So the share is been written und been read by PCs
- all having the same CR/NL conventions. No problem so far.

If you want to transfer files from *NIX applications to M$ applications
or viceversa, you have to convert these EOL-conventions because they
differ in both worlds.
I use some short scripts that I named unix2dos and dos2unix to get these
convertions. If you are interested, I can send you a copy.

kind regards
juergen

--
snail: 	ANZER GmbH - Pieperstr. 14 - 32791 Lage - Germany
email: 	rick_ at t-online.de
voice:	(0049) 5232 / 9777-21
fax:	(0049) 5232 / 78094