Creating new folder in a WIN95 explorer czech version.

Detlef Lammermann detlef.lammermann at er.materna.de
Wed Dec 9 15:34:26 GMT 1998

Robert Polá¹ek schrieb:

> I can't create new folder in a czech Win95 explorer on a unix
> using samba 1.9.18p7. The problem is that Windows exporer uses
> for the creation new folder a name containing characters above 128.
> The explorer creates new folder in a two phases:
> the first It creates directory named Nov<A0> slo<A7>zka and
> next it gives to user posibility to change this name. Crazy !!?
> The first phase is well interpreted but second phase failes
> and user loose a posibility to access this new directory Nov<A0> slo<A7>zka.
> If I interpreted well content of log file it tells me that folder
> Nov<A0> slo<A7>zka was created but It tryes rename directory
> Nov<B5> slo<A6>zka.
> May be I has wrong set smb.conf file. Can somebody help me with this.

Hello Robert!

There was a problem report (PR#8294) from july this year
not appearing in the list.
It describes a similar problem accessing files with german umlauts.
This bug has been fixed with 1.9.18p10.
See a mail transcript below which contains both a detailed description
and a patch, working fine.

While rereading these old mails I had a look to your smb.conf and missed
some settings for foreign languages.
See the entries for "character set" and "valid chars" (and maybe some cross
references) in the smb.conf(5) man page.

Good luck,

Detlef

--
                                                                    ////
                                                                   (Q Q)
Detlef Lammermann    eMail: detlef.lammermann at er.materna.de
Dr. Materna GmbH     X.400: /G=Detlef/S=Lammermann/O=ER/P=MATERNA/A=UMI-DE/C=DE/
Wetterkreuz 3        Voice: +49 9131 7723-60
D-91058 Erlangen     Fax:   +49 9131 7723-45