nmbd failure on Solaris 2.4

Brian Ruth ccaabra at ucl.ac.uk
Tue Dec 8 16:49:32 GMT 1998

Hi,

I expect this is a FAQ, but I can't find the answer and it's driving me mad...

I have an old Sun SPARCstation1+ running Solaris 2.4 and Samba 1.9.18p10. It's
configured to use plain text passwords, and to act as a domain master browser
(there are no NT servers in the workgroup). The workgroup spans several
subnets; Samba is set up as a WINS server, and the clients (WinNT and 95)on the
other subnets have the Samba server set as the WINS server, 'Browse master'
set to 'automatic', and 'LM Announce' set to 'on'.

This all seems to work fine for a few hours, behaving exactly as expected.
Then, nmbd seems to die - although the process is still present, it ceases to
produce information in the log file, doesn't answer WINS queries, and doesn't
do any browse synchronisation. I don't know what's going on here - I have a
similar set up on a Linux box elsewhere and that works fine.

The only clue I can think of is that the failures may possibly be coinciding
with an NT machine in the same workgroup but on one of the other subnets being
started. Then again, this may just be coincidence.

Anyway, I'm stuck. Has anyone else experience this problem, or have any ideas
about what could be causing it?

Thanks,

Brian.

--