samba-2.0.0alpha1

Andrew Tridgell tridge at samba.anu.edu.au
Mon Aug 31 05:50:16 GMT 1998

I've just released samba-2.0.0alpha1. I spoke to Jeremy about starting
to do automatic weekly alpha releases. He thought it was OK but asked
me to wait till next week. I thought "it's already next week in
Australia" so I did a release now :)

>From now until Samba 2.0.0 is finally released there will be an
automated weekly release of the current CVS code at 5pm Tuesday
Canberra time. If you have CVS access then you can largely ignore
these releases as you are better off just doing a "cvs update". If you
don't know what CVS is then look at http://samba.anu.edu.au/cvs.html

Please note that these releases are not production quality. They may
not even compile. That doesn't mean we don't want you to try them (we
do!) it just means that if it doesn't work then you are honour bound
to tell us what is wrong and not to be _too_ upset.

Also note that the docs are a mess. If you want to know about an
option or parameter then the source code is the only true
guide. Hopefully the docs will improve over the coming weeks.

If you are wondering "is there much difference between 1.9.18 and
2.0?" then the answer is a definate yes. I've listed a couple of the
changes in the WHATSNEW file, but it is really only the tip of the
iceberg. For example, there have been 348 code commits in the 2.0 tree
in the last month alone. That's an average of 10 per day. If you are
wondering why we haven't been particularly responsive to emails then
now you know - we have been busy coding.

I suppose some of you might like to know where you can get these gems
of software engineering from? They are available from ftp mirror sites
listed at http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/ in the alpha directory. In
particular the US mirror at samba.gorski.net is updated every 30
minutes so use that in preference to the master site.

	Cheers, Tridge