Remote announcing - Help!

Eric Sisler esisler at ares.csd.net
Fri Aug 21 00:50:37 GMT 1998

Ed Sanborn <esanborn at northc.com> wrote:

>Now for the tricky part.
>
>I want to move all of my computers to a new
>Class C network: 192.168.164.0
>I have the router setup with DNS working, etc.  I migrated one machine
>over to that network.  All works
>well except I now cannot see the Samba server.
>
>I have setup my remote announce definition as follows:
>
>   remote announce = 192.168.164.255

Looks like it should work and I know the man page says to announce to the
broadcast address, but try announcing to the network address instead =
192.168.164.0  I have a similar setup but the class C is subnetted and I
wound up announcing to the network address instead of the broadcast - works
great.

If that doesn't help check your router config and make sure you're not
filtering (if you do so) out the packets/ports that samba needs - namely
TCP/UDP ports 137 (netbios-ns) 138 (netbios-dgm) and 139 (netbios-ssn).
Been there, done that too with a little overzealous network admin.

Good luck!

-Eric Sisler
esisler at ares.csd.net