xcopy failures

Charlie Brady cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Aug 19 03:30:39 GMT 1998

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Anthony Ord wrote:

> The
> 'C:\WINDOWS\PROFILES\ANTHONY\STARTM~1\PROGRAMS\WESTWOOD\REDALE~1\WESTWO~1'
> folder cannot be opened in MS-DOS mode because its MS-DOS name,
> including the names of any folders it is in, is longer than 66
> characters.
>
> The only workarounds I can see are:
>
> 1. Use a win32 app to copy the files (i.e. xcopy32), but this only
> works in a DOS box.
> 2. Use another mapping further up the tree to try and cut down on the
> path (similar to 'map root' if you know Novell)

Since I think you are using the DOS client to do an install (copy file
tree from server), then you could create a custom floppy based Linux
system to do that instead. Start with one of the rescue disk packages -
have a look for YARD. If that works and you like it, you can try running
it straight from the server, using a BOOTROM - see
http://www.slug.org.au/etherboot.

Charlie Brady - Telstra  |internet: cbrady at ind.tansu.com.au
Network Products         |Snail    : Locked Bag 6581, GPO Sydney 2001 Australia
Platform Technologies    |Physical : Lvl 2, 175 Liverpool St, Sydney 2000
 IN-Sub Unit - Sydney    | Phone: +61 2 9206 3470 Fax: +61 2 9281 1301