Word 97 and permission problems

Cliff Green green at umdnj.edu
Tue Aug 18 03:00:46 GMT 1998

--On Tuesday, August 18, 1998, 10:45 AM +1000 AJ Prowant
<aj.prowant at ansys.com> wrote:

> Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:08:30 -0400
> From: AJ Prowant <aj.prowant at ansys.com>
> To: "'samba at samba.anu.edu.au'" <samba at samba.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: Word 97 and permission problems
>
> Question for Everyone,
>   We are running 1.9.18p8 on hpux 10.20.
So are we.

>  This particular machine has a
> directory called docommon that is writable by anyone.  The problem we
> are having is that whenever someone opens a file with word 97, then
> saves it, they own the file and the permissions are -rw-r--r--.  Thus,
> no one else can open the file.  How can we make the files keep the
> -rw-rw-rw setting?

Assuming the file can be created with those permissions (not so
far-fetched), what happens when you set the sticky bit on that directory
(i.e., what happens when you set permissions on docommon to 1777?)  The
original owner still owns the file (I suppose your sysadmin or lanadmin can
change this if it's necessary), but anyone else should be able to open the
file;  however, only the owner and root should be able to delete it.

Cliff Green                                    green at umdnj.edu
Academic Computing Service
University of Medicine & Dentistry of New Jersey
"Two rules to success in life:
 1. Don't tell people everything you know."    - Sassan Tat