Samba and the PDC are fighting for being the Browse master, why?

Janet Dickson janet at bioss.sari.ac.uk
Wed Aug 12 08:20:10 GMT 1998

>The strange thing about this is I'm seeing the same problem (1.9.18p8)
>with the following conf lines:
>
>        domain master    = no
>        local master     = yes
>        preferred master = no
>        os level         = 30
>
>I then see the same log messages over and over again, the samba server
>and my NT 4.0 PDC fighting over who is the local browse master.  If I
>set 'local master = no' my samba server then disappears from the browse
>list!!

Yes - I too have the same problem. Samba 1.9.18p7.  The Samba server is
my PDC so smb.conf has :

        domain master = yes
        local master = yes
        preferred master = yes
        os level = 65

Every 12 minutes I get the following in log.nmb  :

process_local_master_announce: Server PCPEARSON at IP 129.215.168.205 is
announcing itself as a local master browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST and
we think we are master.
 Forcing election.

1998/07/24 09:59:05 *****   Samba name server FISHER has stopped being a
local master browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST on subnet 129.215.168.200
*****

1998/07/24 09:59:28 *****   Samba name server FISHER is now a local
master browser for workgroup BIOSSTEST on subnet 129.215.168.200 *****

I'd assumed it was a matter of telling the NT server not to announce
itself as a local master, but no-one has come up with a solution - yet !

Cheers
	Janet

Janet Dickson                          |
http://www.bioss.sari.ac.uk/~janet
Biomathematics and Statistics Scotland | email: janet at bioss.sari.ac.uk
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Rd      | Telephone: +44 (0) 131 650 4888
Edinburgh EH9 3JZ, Scotland, UK.       | Fax: +44 (0) 131 650 4901