Case sensitivity and Win95

Owen L. Magee mageeol at mail.auburn.edu
Thu Apr 30 12:23:23 GMT 1998

On Thu, Apr 30, 1998 at 08:50:55PM +1000, Tim Wilson wrote:
> The company I work for uses samba to allow access to Unix files from PCs
> running Windows 95.
>
> When I create a file from my PC on the samba drive with a name including
> upper case letters, the name is forced into all lower case: I cannot
> create a file name containing an upper case letter.  From Unix, I can
> create (and see from my PC) mixed-case file names.
>
> I asked my system administrator whether he could configure samba to
> allow mixed-case files, but he says "no: it is a property of Windows
> 95".
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is discussed in the smb.conf(5) man page.  Here's the URL to the
appropriate section:

http://samba.anu.edu.au/samba/docs/man/man5/smb.conf.html#NAMEMANGLING

Anyway, here's the entries in our smb.conf that we use for mixed-case
file names:

   case sensitive = no
   preserve case = yes
   short preserve case = yes