Group information lost when security = server

Steve Francis steve.francis at commserv.ucsb.edu
Tue Apr 28 18:14:38 GMT 1998

force group = staff does not work either.

smbstatus shows the group correctly:
 ./smbstatus

Samba version 1.9.18p4
Service      uid      gid      pid     machine
cslan        bmiller  staff    45176   stevef

But files are all created with the group of sys.

Not only that, but force group = "literal group" will not work for me anyway,
as I need to maintain file access differently for people in different groups
accessing the same share.

IS there a working solution for this when using security = server?
TIA

Robert Dahlem wrote:

> Steve,
>
> On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:33:45 +1000, Steve Francis wrote:
>
> >I have a samba install, samba-1.9.18p4, with security=server.  Users are
> >validated against the NT domain controller correctly, and user accounts
> >do exist on the unix box (AIX 4.2.1)
>
> >Problem is that while the uid of the files that users create is correct,
> >the group id is always sys, even though the users have as primary gid
> >STAFF.
>
> >The definition of the share I am trying to create is:
> >[cslan]
> >        comment = cslan data.  Current Managers stuff only
> >        path = /csfiles
> >        writable = yes
> >        public = no
> >        valid users = corr vsefcik bmiller rallard
> >        create mask = 0760
> >        force user = %U
> >        force group = %G
>
> >I tried adding the force user/group lines to try to resolve this, but
> >with no luck.
>

> Why don't you try "force group = staff" and leave the force user away?
>
> Anyway, there are some troubles with substition, ie. "force user = %S"
> definitly does not work in 1.9.18p4 (already posted to samba-bugs).
>
> Regards,
>         Robert

> Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
> Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
>                  2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)

Steve Francis
Network Analyst,
UCSB Communications Services
805 893 7775