Group information lost when security = server

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Tue Apr 28 13:49:50 GMT 1998

Steve,

On Tue, 28 Apr 1998 09:33:45 +1000, Steve Francis wrote:

>I have a samba install, samba-1.9.18p4, with security=server.  Users are
>validated against the NT domain controller correctly, and user accounts
>do exist on the unix box (AIX 4.2.1)

>Problem is that while the uid of the files that users create is correct,
>the group id is always sys, even though the users have as primary gid
>STAFF.

>The definition of the share I am trying to create is:
>[cslan]
>        comment = cslan data.  Current Managers stuff only
>        path = /csfiles
>        writable = yes
>        public = no
>        valid users = corr vsefcik bmiller rallard
>        create mask = 0760
>        force user = %U
>        force group = %G

>I tried adding the force user/group lines to try to resolve this, but
>with no luck.

Are you sure you want %U/%G ? Theres a difference between %U/%G and
%u/%g !

"force user = %u" and "force group = %g" seem to be a null operations.

Why don't you try "force group = staff" and leave the force user away?

Anyway, there are some troubles with substition, ie. "force user = %S"
definitly does not work in 1.9.18p4 (already posted to samba-bugs).

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at frankfurt.netsurf.de
Radio Bornheim - 2:2461/332 at fidonet +49-69-4930830  (ZyX, V34)
                 2:2461/326 at fidonet +49-69-94414444 (ISDN X.75)