Requiring view -> refresh from NT?!?!?

Chott, Joseph R Joseph.Chott at ARZ.Boeing.com
Mon Apr 6 17:03:08 GMT 1998

Hello,

	I have been trying to get samba to catch on here at Boeing for
quite some time now.  I have a samba server running on Linux that has
been running for about 2 years now doing HPUX --nfs--> Linux --samba-->
Win95 machines.  What I am trying to do now is file serve from HPUX to
Windows NT machines.  I have most everything working, but I wanted to
ask some questions:

	First and foremost, I am having trouble with filesystem changes
not showing up immediately in "My computer" or "explorer" under Windows
NT.  For instance, if I bring up a shared directory, and copy a file
INTO it, I do not see the file in the window.  If I do a "view ->
refresh", it shows up just fine.  The same thing happens when I do a
file delete.  Some background information:  I have Samba 1.9.18p4
compiled and installed on HPUX 10.2 serving the files.  I am accessing
the files from Windows NT 4.0 with SP3 installed (and I have the
encryption support enabled and working in samba).

	Now, another problem.  If I can get this to work, I will end up
with thousands of people accessing the Samba server.  I would rather not
have to manage each Samba USER with a unix account.  In my case, some of
the users have unix accounts, and some don't.  More importantly, in NO
case do the unix account names match the windows NT account names, and
the passwords have no requirement to be the same between accounts.  What
I am wanting is the following:

	1] The NT user to be validated by an NT password server

		(this is currently working)

	2] Samba to allow access to the user's available directories
based
	    upon the "valid users = blah blah2" entry under each share,
and
	    NOT check if the user exists as a unix user.  If the user
was
	    validated by the NT password server, and I have a line
saying:
	    "force user = blah" and "force group = blah", why does it
insist
	    on finding the user as a unix user before allowing them to
	    connect?!?!?

	Any information on how to solve either of these problems would
be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help I may receive.

	Sincerely,

	Joe Chott