smb clients and performance

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Mon Sep 29 17:45:50 GMT 1997

MS Cleints will broadcast even if there is no samba server (for example,
you use NT instead). That's the default method of resolving names. It is
not, however, all that taxing on the network. We have over 800 MS clients
on 25 subnets, and we can use Samba, AND NT servers (not to mention
PCNFS) with no throughput problems.

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Steve Jones wrote:

> I have been experimenting with a samba server.  The people
> who administer our network have flatly stated that
> we would never use samba because it's detrimental to
> network performance.  They say it's due to the MS client's
> practice of constantly broadcasting, saying that these
> clients broadcast continuously even when connections are
> not being made.  Is this correct?  Would anyone, even MS,
> really concoct a design this stupid?   Is there any reason
> the clients should broadcast this way?
>
> steve

                                [Darrin]

 "I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."
				- A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753