smblient can't see sometimes...

Martin Mielke martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Wed Sep 24 16:53:37 GMT 1997

Hello all,

it's strange. I've installed SAMBA twice, always with success. I've gone
through the DIANOSIS.txt tests without problems and SAMBA works fine for
us.
The reason for this email: when I use smbclient -L $SERVER to see the
shares on a PC box, I sometimes miss something. Take the following as
example:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Sep 24 17:42:32 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        C$             Disk
        D$             Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        DOLORES        Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

that's all OK. But I also have gotten this:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Wed Sep 24 17:42:32 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        DOLORES        Disk
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

NOTE: There were share names longer than 8 chars.
On older clients these may not be accessible or may give browsing errors

As you see, C$ and D$ are lost somewhere... is there any way to see/use
them even though if they are not listed?
What is happening here for this to happen?... is there any known
solution?

SAMBA (1.9.16p11) is running on a SGI under IRIX 6.2 and the problems
arise with Win95 boxes. I still haven't experienced such a case with
NT's.

Thanks in advance and best regards,

M at rtin
--