Multiple subnet workgroup browsing

Dave Wreski dave at nic.com
Mon Sep 22 08:23:01 GMT 1997

Hi all.  I'm using 1.9.17p1 Linux 2.0.31-pre9 and would like to configure
two subnets to be able to talk to each other.

There are no NT Server's on any of the networks.  I'm interested in having
an NT workstation be able to show it in its browser list..

Using 'smbclient -L machine1.net1.com' from machine1.net2.com lists the
shares without a problem.  Likewise for the other direction.

The relevant information from each servers are as follows.  The 'master
browser':

[global]
   workgroup = GAZETTE
   local master = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = yes
   preferred master = yes
   wins support = yes

and from the machine on the second network:

[global]
   workgroup = GAZETTE
   local master = yes
   os level = 65
   domain master = no
   preferred master = yes
   wins server = ip.of.machine1.com

Should both machines be configured for the same workgroup?  Should the
remote machine name show up in the browser list on the NT workstation, or
does it just become a volume of the master server?

Thanks for any ideas,
Dave Wreski