NT4: Not Authorised to login from this station

Pat Sullivan psullivan at inri.com
Sun Sep 7 15:19:34 GMT 1997

>I have a problem login in from NT40  to our Samba server. I can log in ok
from WinNT351 and WfWg.

>Whenever I try to log in from NT4.0 , I get the error message:
>
>" The Account is not authorized to login from this station "
>
>All hints and tips will be appreciated.

I saw the same problem - NT 4.0 SP3, with Solaris251 samba (using encrypted
passwds);

Logging in to the samba server and running smbpasswd solved the problem -
after indicating that I had no previous smb passwd - although I had run the
mksmbpasswd script.

I increased the debug level for smb, then watched the log.smb file - it
reported that it could find my login in the smbpasswd file, after which I
ran smbpasswd by hand - make sure the premissions on smbpasswd are set
correctly, and on the smbpasswd file.

This, of course, assumes that you are using encryption.
Pat Sullivan
psullivan at inri.com                 psullivan at edgenet.net