smbprint.sysv problem for printing from unix to WFWG

kunwar.asif kunwar.asif at cressoft.com.pk
Fri Oct 31 01:34:22 GMT 1997

     Dear users

     Thanks for reading this. Hope you will help me.
     I am using samba 1.9.17p2 on SunSparc-20 running solaris2.5.1 for
     printing and file sharing with PC-network. File sharing is working
     fine but I want to print to a WfWg printer from Solaris. So I have
     used your script smbprint.sysv and try to print. But I am facing
     following problems:

     1- Some print jobs are printed and some are not.
     2- I can only do command line printing e.g lp <file name>
     3- I can't print from Xwindows and following message appears on
     screen: " NO print filter defined..."
     4- If a print job prints in  less then 1 page then it will be merged
     with next print job. Similarly if a print job is of 4 1/2 pages then
     only 4 pages will be output and half page will be merged with next
     print job provided that next print job is sent using the same
     smbprint.sysv. If the next print job comes from another application
     e.g. Windows then the remaining portion of previous printjob will be
     print out first.
     5- I have installed TCP32b on WFWG print server.

     I am trying to print from unix to WFWG from last 3 months but could
     not succeeded. Now i become furstrate and need your help to overcome
     this problem.

     Thanks

     Kunwar Asif Masood
     CresSoft
     -
     Following is the script which I am using.

     !/bin/sh

     shift;shift;shift;shift;shift
     # now the argument list is just the files to print
     server=Ps1
     service="HP LASERJET"
     password=""

     (# NOTE You may wish to add the line `echo translate' if you want
     automatic
     # CR/LF translation when printing.
            echo translate
            echo "print -"
            cat $*
     ) | /usr/local/samba/bin/smbclient "\\\\$server\\$service" $password
     -N -P  > /dev/null
     exit $?

     My etc/printcap file

     lp:\
     :cm=HP LASERJET on Print server in basement:\
     :lp=/dev/null:\
     :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
     :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp/acct:\
     :mx=0:\