Receiving individual messages (PR#948)

Rafi Sadowsky rafi at tavor.openu.ac.il
Thu Oct 23 20:42:19 GMT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Andrew Tridgell wrote:

> > Does anybody know if it's possible to receive Samba list e-mail messages
> > individually instead of as the digest? I find it very difficult to sort out
> > what's interesting from what isn't when I have to search through the digest.
>
> See http://samba.anu.edu.au/listproc
>
> This explains how to set/unset digest mode, among other things
> (like how to unsubscribe).
>
> At one time I asked people not to use individual messages because
> the samba mail server was overloaded and couldn't handle the huge
> number of mail messages that non-digest mode causes (it would be
> about 150,000 messages a day if everyone did it).

this is from the qmail blurb - maybe you should consider it

===( by Dan Bernstien - qmail's author )

Efficient: On a Pentium under BSD/OS, qmail can easily sustain 200000
local messages per day---that's separate messages injected and delivered
to mailboxes in a real test! Although remote deliveries are inherently
limited by the slowness of DNS and SMTP, qmail overlaps 20 simultaneous
deliveries by default, so it zooms quickly through mailing lists. (This is
why I finished qmail: I had to get a big mailing list set up.)

===