NT domain logon questions

Edan Idzerda edan at mtu.edu
Thu Oct 23 13:33:00 GMT 1997

Hi.  Myself and a anti-Micro$oft companion tried to get
NT domain logons working yesterday and seem pretty close, but
not quite.

Samba is 1.9.18alpha3, server is an Ultra-2 running SunOS 5.5.1.

Encrypted passwords seem to be working, a la smbclient and mostly
from NT, "mostly" because it *seemed* to be working but we did
have some problems with home directories in smbpasswd changing
and smbd not recognizing it.  But that's really of no concern
at the moment :)

When we try to join the domain OURDOM (was NTFREE, now's it NITWIT)
the NT 4 WS hangs for a bit and then says "The domain server could
not be located."

Samba writes a lot of stuff to the log file, and most of it
really isn't very interesting to me, but the following seemed
like an *error* that didn't seem covered in any of the docs
I've/we've looked at.

5C 50 49 50 45 5C 6C 73   61 72 70 63  0   \PIPE\ls  arpc.
switch message SMBopenX (pid 6706)
Skipping become_user - already user
Opening pipe \PIPE\lsarpc.
Known pipe lsarpc opening.
unix_clean_name [lsarpc]
is_in_path: lsarpc
is_in_path: no name list.
unix_clean_name [lsarpc]
dos_mode: 12 lsarpc
is_in_path: lsarpc
is_in_path: no name list.
dos_mode returning r
10/22/97 17:02:12 error packet at line 146 cmd=45 (SMBopenX) eclass=1 ecode=5
error string = Permission denied

So I guess my only question at the moment would be, "is the above
normal behavior?"

Hopefully we'll have our logs a little more together soon.
Thanks for any suggestions anyone might have... we're
so close... yet so far...

- edan