Local group registration

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Oct 8 13:51:57 GMT 1997

janne,

your message was sent as a text attachment.  this will stuff some
people's receipt of the samba digest, particularly if the text attachment
was in MIME format.

for those people wishing to, it is possible to receive in non-digest mode
(don't ask me how: ask listserv at samba.anu.edu.au).

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997 Janne.Harju at nmp.nokia.com wrote:

> Hello
>
> Samba 1.9.17p2 seems to still be registering NetBIOS group [1E]
> incorrectly although the "local master = no" option is used
> in smb.conf.

it is not incorrect: it is correct behaviour.

"local master = no" switches off samba from participating in elections,
resulting in it never potentially registering, on each broadcast-isolated
subnet, the "local master" NetBIOS name.  this NetBIOS name is a unique,
broadcast-only NetBIOS name WORKGROUP<1d>.

the NetBIOS name you refer to is a group, broadcast-only NetBIOS name
WORKGROUP<1e>, and indicates _membership_ of the broadcast-isolated
local workgroup.

> I reported this happening with 1.9.16p11 and earlier releases
> (this was in May). The answer was that this will be fixed in 1.9.17.

i did?

> Luke, can you tell me what happened with the fix?

i have a "workgroup member = yes/no" parameter in samba-2, which will
stop the registration of WORKGROUP<1e> and WORKGROUP<00> and generally
make samba invisible in the network neighbourhood.

this is probably not what you want, as the samba-2 (currently broken)
version can appear in multiple workgroups, under multiple different
NetBIOS aliases, under _some_ of which you may want samba not to have
Network Neighbourhood presence, rather than completely invisible under
all NetBIOS names.

          environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"              </b>