Win95 Username Prompt?

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Sun Oct 5 12:50:23 GMT 1997

Does anyone know of a way to force windows 95 to prompt for both a username and password
when connecting to a share, either from settings on the windows machine or in smb.conf.
I would like to keep the windows95 machines logged in as something such as "guest", we're
only a small organisation and forcing people to shut down the machine every time they leave
it and to login every time they wont to use a PC seems such a drag and a bit over the top. I
would however like to keep the security on the unix systems and was wondering if there was
a way to allow them to supply usernames only when they connect to a share and maybe even a
way to get windows to forget the password/username combo on disconnecting from all the shares
removing the need again to reboot the PC. If this is not possible I can always use users=@users
but i'd rather not.

If none of this is really possible is there a way to force the Remember password checkbox to
default to uncheckd and not checked, so that people's unix passwords aren't still saved once
the machine has rebooted