Win95 Username Prompt?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sun Oct 5 14:14:57 GMT 1997

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Simon Hyde wrote:

> Does anyone know of a way to force windows 95 to prompt for both a username and password
> when connecting to a share, either from settings on the windows machine

there isn't one.

> or in smb.conf.

there isn't one.

> I would like to keep the windows95 machines logged in as something such as "guest", we're
> only a small organisation and forcing people to shut down the machine every time they leave
> it and to login every time they wont to use a PC seems such a drag and a bit over the top. I
> would however like to keep the security on the unix systems and was wondering if there was
> a way to allow them to supply usernames only when they connect to a share and maybe even a
> way to get windows to forget the password/username combo on disconnecting from all the shares
> removing the need again to reboot the PC. If this is not possible I can always use users=@users
> but i'd rather not.

no need.

either upgrade to NT, or use the \\samba_server\share%user syntax.  check
the smb.conf files as to whether the % character is the default
share/user division symbol.

> If none of this is really possible is there a way to force the Remember password checkbox to
> default to uncheckd and not checked, so that people's unix passwords aren't still saved once
> the machine has rebooted

yes.  don't know what it is, though.  some registry setting.  check the
samba digest archives.

          environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"              </b>