Authentication Problems

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Sat Nov 29 19:23:55 GMT 1997

I have a few questions regarding this;
1) Is the Windows SMB encryption approved for for export,  a' la ITAR?
2) If not, is WinNT40SP3 available outside the US/CA.
3) Relative to 2), is this version of RedHat available outside US/CA?
4) How does MS distribute SP3 outside US/CA?

At 09:06 28-11-97 +1100, Celso Kopp Webber wrote:
>    Hi Patrick.
>
>    I don't know why you can log in at the first time, but this happened the
>same way to me, on a very similar configuration as yours.
>
>    I simply solved the problem putting encrypt passwords = yes on my
>smb.conf, since the RedHat distributions includes a version of Samba with
>LibDES compiled in.
>Reading ENCYPTION.txt, I noticed that I would have had to create a smbpasswd
>file. I didn't create it and all worked well???
>
>    Is the smbpasswd file really necessary? Can samba work with encrypted
>passwords and no smbpasswd file.
>
>    Sincerely,
>
>    Celso Webber.
>
>Patrick Bauer escreveu:
>
>> hi... i've got Samba 1.9.17p4 running on a RedHat 4.2 Linux box... with a
>> 2.0.32 kernel... with pam-0.57-4... and pwdb-0.54-4 installed... what
>> happens when i start samba... is that on an NT machine... i am able to
>> connect to a Samba network drive the first time... giving username and
>> password... but if i open network neighbourhood... and browse the linux
>> box which has Samba on it... log out... and then log back in... i am
>> unable to connect to that Samba drive again... i guess it is an
>> authentication problem...
>>
>> /etc/pam.d/samba looks like this...
>>
>> #%PAM-1.0
>> auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
>> account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
>>
>> which is fine... and the major options i have enabled in smb.conf are...
>>
>>    security = user
>>
>> and that's about it... the domain controller stuff and everything that
>> relates to that is commented out... also i have the registry updated to
>> enable plain text passwords...
>>
>> the error message i get when i try to browse again is...
>>
>> incorrect password / unknown username for //samba-server
>>
>> i have to restart samba... in order to make everything work again
>>
>> Pat.

Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail:		mailto:rmeyer at mhsc.com
Personalweb pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:	http://www.mhsc.com/