Authentication Problems

Celso Kopp Webber celsinho at inf.ufsc.br
Thu Nov 27 19:12:45 GMT 1997

    Hi Patrick.

    I don't know why you can log in at the first time, but this happened the
same way to me, on a very similar configuration as yours.

    I simply solved the problem putting encrypt passwords = yes on my
smb.conf, since the RedHat distributions includes a version of Samba with
LibDES compiled in.
Reading ENCYPTION.txt, I noticed that I would have had to create a smbpasswd
file. I didn't create it and all worked well???

    Is the smbpasswd file really necessary? Can samba work with encrypted
passwords and no smbpasswd file.

    Sincerely,

    Celso Webber.