Security Modifications for Samba

David Bullock david.bullock at loftuscomp.com.au
Fri Nov 28 10:26:04 GMT 1997

I have submitted some samba mods to samba-bugs which others may be interested
to have a look at or try.

The mods enable certain security controls like "admin user", "create mask",
"force create mode" etc to be set by directory rather than by service.

With it, you can present users with a single service of Unix directories within which
some directories and/or their files are inherently (i.e. via the Unix security controls)
read-only, other are writeable, etc.

The approach has more interesting possibilities - but this is what I have implemented
at the moment.

We are using it successfully on FreeBSD 2.2.2, and it compiles & runs OK on
SunOS 4.1.3 and Linux.

It's called "Samba Folders" (for want of a better name :-) and if anyone would like a
copy they are welcome - drop me a line and I'll mail it right back.  It's 155Kbytes or so.

Cheers,

David.Bullock at loftuscomp.com.au