Invalid Password Problems

Mon Nov 24 12:21:54 GMT 1997

Hello,

> Can you access the Linux machine using smbclient with a valid username and
> password?
> Are you using PAM? If so it's quite possible you need to upgrade your
> version of PAM and a few other things it relies on.

I started going through the DIAGNOSE file, everything worked until the part when you try to connect to the shares using SMBCLIENT on the linux box gives the following message:
Domain=[WORKGROUP] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.17p4]
connected as guest security=share
first SMBtconX failed, trying again. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/pass
word pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree
Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase

Do you know what this means, and what is wrong?

What is PAM??

Thanks in Advance

Ian