smbclient server name resolution

David Bullock david.bullock at loftuscomp.com.au
Mon Nov 24 15:24:20 GMT 1997

Hello.  I have been looking at smbclient source code and it seems to use
gethostbyname first to try to resolve a server name and then tries WINS.

In a dial-in-to-the-ISP situation where the ISP runs the DNS, this may be
a "gotcha" - particularly as we want to use DHCP for PCs and want to print
to a printer attached to one of those PCs with smbclient.

Am I reading this correctly?  Has anyone made this combination work
without dialing the ISP for every print job?

-- David Bullock
   Loftus Computing Services
   davidb at loftuscomp.com.au