Unusual [homes] configuration (PR#1921)

Andrew Tridgell samba-bugs at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Nov 22 03:37:22 GMT 1997

> 1.  Is there a way to make one's own [homes] style section with
> a different share name like [otherhomes] ?  The
> only element that I'm missing is the ability to change the share
> name to that of the user and (2) above will work.  I looked through
> the man pages but didn't find what I needed.

I think I've mentioned this before, but you might like to know that the
% macros can be used in share names. For example:

[%U]
	path = %H
	... other options ...

might provide what you want.

Also note that it is generally preferable to use the \\server\user syntax rather

than the \\server\homes syntax. The difference is that MS clients might assume
that \\server\homes is the same for any user, when it actually points to a
different set of files for each user. This is particularly a problem if a
client caches a connection after a user logs out and doesn't reconnect
from scratch when a different user logs in. It can also be a problem with
the multi-user NT add-ons like citrix.

Cheers, Andrew