Win95 Full System Backup to Samba box?

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Fri Nov 21 21:00:09 GMT 1997

I have a small home network running three Win95 pcs with a Samba/Linux
server (thanks, Andrew and Linus!!!).  All works well.

The question now is what I can do to make a full system backup (including
hidden and system files) from the Win95 boxes to the 8mm tape drive on
the Linux box.

I know I could use smbmount to mount the Win95 drive, and then do a tar or
cpio backup, but I'm not nearly so sure about restoring that backup, if
necessary onto a fresh hard disk.

I do have a single-floppy network boot disk so I could bring the PC up and
connect it to the network using that floppy, but then how would I do the
restore process to get everything back with the same system/hidden/RO
attributes set?

Thanks for any pointers.

John Ackermann   N8UR
jra at febo.com

- --A4597.880141296=_/samba.anu.edu.au--

------- End of Forwarded Message