NIS homedir map and home share names

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Wed Nov 19 18:05:17 GMT 1997

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Andrew Miller wrote:

> > Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 14:23:46 -0500
> > From: Rob Naccarato <rob.naccarato at sheridanc.on.ca>
> > To: samba at samba.anu.edu.au
> > Subject: NIS homedir map and home share names
> >

> > We are making use of the NIS homedir functionality in our environment, but
> > I've found something a little disturbing.  ...
> >
> > ... why does Samba return a user's home share as
> > \\server\homes rather than \\server\username ?
> >
> > I've made a small hack to password.c that makes the user's home share
> > as \\server\username rather than \\server\homes....
>
> I've made the same hack.  It's cleaner, and seems to fix any "persistent
> connection" problems.

really???  AH!   thank you very much: that gives me a clue as to what the
problem might be.

jeremy, is the [homes] share and the [username] share made consistent on the
"number of files" opened?  i'm aware that the [homes] share itself doesn't
actually exist: it's internally redirected to [username].

luke