NT Workstation can not access shares

Dieter Rothacker Didi at ThePentagon.com
Tue Nov 18 09:06:28 GMT 1997

Dave wrote:

<snip>
>   Last week, you could enter a valid username and password and get access,
> this week I get :
<snip>
>   This is a laptop with NT 4.0 workstation. Last week, it was the base
> install of NT, this week it is the same base install + Service Pack 3.

Hello,
sounds to me like the typical "NT w/ SP3 uses encrypted passwords" -
problem.
Try setting this in the registry of the NT machine:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Rdr\Parameters]
"EnablePlainTextPassword"=dword:00000001

should work now (that is, after a reboot, of course :-))
--
Dieter Rothacker